If you want to visit the PCH Kenya campus and can get away this fall, here’s your chance. Larry Watson will be leading a team to Kenya from October 24 – November 7. This will be a low-key trip with emphasis on spending time with the orphans, school children and staff. We will do some light project work fitted to the skills of the team. This will likely include painting classrooms and planting sapplings, among other things. The cost will depend on your point of origin but is expected to be $2,000 – $2,500 per person. This will not include a safari, but one can be arranged at the end of the trip for those wishing to participate in that. If you are interested in this fulfilling adventure, please contact Larry Watson at (919) 805-4399, email@example.com for more information.
To register for the trip, go to http://providencekenya.org/?p=1260 .
On February 13, a group of about 60 ladies met in Southern California to enjoy High Tea and to help raise money for PCH orphans graduating from high school. The event was a rousing success with over $8,000 pledged to the benefit of the PCH College/Vocational training fund. We currently have one orphan attending nursing school, Valentine Kekoi. She is doing quite well with her studies and has set the example for the six seniors now in high school who will graduate at the end of this year. It is estimated that the cost for college or vocational training beyond high school will be $4,000 per year per student. So, a total of $28,000 per year needs to be pledged to meet these needs for at least the next three years. If you would like to join in and pledge for this great cause, please visit our website at http://provdencekenya.org and click on the GIVE tab. There, you will find the link to the College/Vocational training fund.
The girls for whom college/vocational training funds are needed are as follows:
Cynthia Lutome Felista Wnjiku Lilian Atieno Valentine Kekoi
Mercy Sidho Rahab Wacu Sharon Amondi
Pictures from the Tea:
This coming Monday, December 1 at midnight EST marks the start of the 24 hour Giving Tuesday. In that time, the Advance program of the United Methodist Church (UMC) is willing to match dollar for dollar the first $1 million donated toward projects recognized by the Advance, of which Providence Children’s Home (PCH) is one. Last year, The Advance offered a similar program with only $500,000 of matching funds available. The matching funds were gone in the first 5 minutes of the program. If you were planning to make an end of year donation to PCH and want to take advantage of this opportunity to extend your giving through this program, here is what you need to know:
- You can give to PCH regardless of church affiliation by cutting and pasting the following address into your browser or clicking on the link: https://secure3.convio.net/gbgm/site/SPageNavigator/gbgm_donate.html?type=1001&project=3019212.
- Do not expect your donation to be matched if you cannot make the donation within the first 10-15 minutes of the program start. The time of start in your time zone is as follows:
- Eastern – Monday, December 1 at midnight
- Central – Monday, December 1 at 11:00 p.m.
- Mountain – Monday, December 1 at 10:00 p.m.
- Pacific – Monday, December 1 at 9:00 p.m.
- You will need to use a credit card to make your donation and the maximum that will be matched is $2,500, though a donation greater than this will still be passed on to PCH.
- You can make a designation of how you want your donation to be used by clicking on the Memorial or Honor Gift item in the Gift Duration area of the donation form. Then select Gift Type “In Honor Of” and type “PCH” for First Name and your designation for Last Name. Our suggested designations by priority are:
- Support for the orphans ($100+ supports one child for a month)
- Building a new girl’s dorm for the school (Total cost of $125,000)
- Greenhouse to provide food for the Home and School (Total cost of $5,000)
- Solar Water Heaters for the two Homes (Cost of $5,000 each)
- De-Salination facility for water quality at the whole campus (Total cost of $10,000)
- If you want your donation recognized by a local UMC church, list the name of that church in the appropriate area of the donation form. They will be notified of the donation by The Advance office and this should appear with your other church donations for 2014.
- All matching funds received by PCH will be placed in our general fund, to be used as directed by the PCH board.
- If you are not sure your designation got received, you can send a note to: firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that it gets designated to the purpose of your choice.
- Donations made after the matching runs out will still be sent to PCH by The Advance office. They just won’t have any matching funds associated with them.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact me at the contact information below. Thank you again for your faithfulness to the ministry of PCH. Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and enjoyable holiday season!
To raise funds for charity every year the men’s group at Sugar Land First United Methodist Church, hosts “The Ron Barker Memorial Golf Tournament” (RBMGT). For the last two years and again this year the net proceeds will go to Providence Children’s Home. This note is to invite you to participate and to ask you to “Save The Date”. The date for the 2014 Tournament is Monday, October 13 (Columbus Day), and it will be held at Quail Valley Golf Club, Missouri City, Texas. There will be a shot-gun start, followed by dinner, awards, live auction and silent auction. Please join in and spread the word to friends and neighbors. Registration will be on line (see the link below). The entry fee will be $125 per person or $440 per 4-person team. If you know anyone or a know of a company that would like to be a sponsor, or donate items for our auction, please contact Ken Ticer at email@example.com or 832-236-8627. For information about the tournament, registration, and sponsorships please go on-line to: http://www.sugarlandmethodist.org/content.cfm?id=472, or contact Ken for more information.